Thursday, February 8, 2007

Feeding Therapy

I feel like such a feeding loser. How is it that I can't manage to get my baby to grow and eat? I tried valiantly to pump for him in the NICU and only got drips, so after 8 weeks he moved to formula. I couldn't teach him to bottle feed so he came home with an NG. And now we have to do Day Patient Feeding Therapy. This means that when spring starts instead of dragging my little guy to Starbucks to hang out with my friends (that I've barely seen all winter) I'll be driving an hour each way during rush hour to spend the entire day at Children's Hospital in Richmond. Noah will be given 4 one hour feeding sessions between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm with breaks in between for naps and running through the halls licking things covered with nasty hospital germs. And this isn't the kind of feeding therapy like we get now where mommy feeds Noah while the therapists offers tips. This is the kind of therapy where they take my baby into another room to feed him while I watch on video. I don't get to try myself until they've "fixed" him. I'm sure it will be wonderful for him and he'll get the kick in the butt he really needs to start eating, but what about me? This is not how it's supposed to be.

No comments: