Friday, October 17, 2008

School

School is still a challenge. If it's not one thing, it's another. We're still not receiving the services that are on the IEP, and Noah is really struggling because of it. Noah is growing more and more frustrated at the work that they expect him to do: work that involves multistep directions that he doesn't understand, fine motor tasks that he can't yet do, and touching of items that are aversive to him. Noah does need to be pushed to experience things that he's not yet comfortable with, but if he's pushed too far things'll get worse instead of better. I just don't know what to do, and I'm weary of the battle. I know I just had a vacation, but I'm ready for another one.
P.S. I know that picture and this post are completely unrelated, but isn't it cute?

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm sorry you're having so many problems with his IEP - refresh my memory, is he 'mainstreamed' in a typical preschool?

Emily said...

Nope - no mainstreaming. He's in an early childhood special ed class at our local public school.

Anonymous said...

UGGH!! he is in an early childhood special ed class where they are set up for following EIP's and they aren't doing it? Damn.. how frustrating.. I'm sorry. Is there anyone you can go to to get this moving? It's tough to be in this situation because you don't want to be labeled as one of "those" parents.

The Microblogologist said...

My mom tended to be "that" parent, sometimes it was embarrassing but in the end she got things done that needed to be done. Funny how growing up we were not necessarily happy with her "interference" but now looking back I really appreciate her being willing to fight for me and my sisters. The sister I never thought would ever come to that point recently became overwhelmed with the doctors she is seeing and asked Mom to step in, most likely she will actually get the care she needs after months of being jerked around! Best of luck fighting for your sweet boy Emily =)!