Tuesday, June 5, 2007

The Terrible Twos

Noah has proven himself a full fledged toddler. This afternoon I stopped at Ukrops after Noah's Dr.'s appointment. It's the closest grocery store that sells soy yogurt and since he prefers soy I stop there whenever I get the chance. Noah loves cold things and wanted to lick/suck on the outside of the yogurt containers. I didn't think that was the best idea. Holy tantrum, Batman! Noah kicked, screamed, and threw the yogurt containers at a poor woman in the bakery. I made a quick retreat to the checkout line where Noah tried to climb out of the cart and onto the conveyor belt. Being the mean mommy that I am, I was against that too. Thankfully we only had a few items so my public embarrassment ended quickly. I got a few good kicks on the way out and by the time we got to the car Noah was totally calm. I guess I should be upset, but I'm actually kind of proud. A tantrum is such a normal thing... People understand. I remember the first time Noah's apnea monitor went off in public -people looked at me like I had 3 heads. And explaining to a store employee why there is 6 oz of vomit on the floor (and how I know that it is, indeed, 6 oz.) is really not my idea of a good time. Maybe Noah will give up the vomiting and just throw tantrums. That would be nice.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I had a similar experience with M recently at the grocery store (huge basket full, though). When I got out of the store, I called David and said, "You know those annoying kids who throw temper tantrums in the store? Yeah, our kid is one of those." I got a good laugh out of it.

Here's to temper tantrums instead of vomit!

Anonymous said...

It took me three consecutive trips to get out of Target when Seneca was colic. I'd get only 3 items and she would SCREAM (and I mean scream); I would hurry to the check-out and then once we hit the doors to leave she would stop. Feeling safe I would go back in the store, but only get 3 more items before she would SCREAM. One last round and I was finally able to get the essentials I had gone for.