Saturday, September 1, 2007

Busy

Why is it that all the doctors want to schedule their follow ups at the same intervals? If I were a doctor I would ask my patients to come back and see me in 4 months or 7.5 months. It's always 3 months or 6 months and that means that every 3-6 months my life gets hectic. Not that it's not hectic the rest of the time, mind you. But every 3-6 months I have to drive to Richmond on an almost daily basis. I have to find my way through endless construction detours so many times that they don't seem like detours anymore. I have to pay so many fees in the hospital parking garage that I start to think about getting a monthly pass. A normal month for me consists of one audiologist visit, one OT appointment (at least she comes to the house!), 4 ST appointments and 4 FT appointments. That's only 9 trips to Richmond or to think of it another way, only 18 hours driving to Noah's appointments each month. This month I get to add to that an appointment with dermatology, opthamology, pulmonology, otolaryngology, and if we ever remember to call for a new appointment endocrinology - 28 hours in the car. It would be nice if I could "double up" appointments so that I had more than one each day I went down to Richmond. That has worked really well for me in the past. But alas this month that didn't work out. Perhaps I should be thankful that this only happens once every 3 months? Perhaps I should be happy that we're no longer followed by neurology, nephrology, urology, and surgery? I'm just thankful for cruise control, air conditioning, strollers, and a 2 year old used to amusing himself in waiting rooms.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Ugh! That is frustrating. At least we only live about 45min from most of our doctors, especially since we're still on a 1-2mos visit for everyone. I hope you make it through this hectic time and manage to stay sane!

baby james said...

Here, here, I am with ya on this one. Although we don't live to far from most of our appointments but I laugh evertime a new month rolls around and I flip to a new month on the calander, last months calander what a mess, this months social calendar not to far behind. Our biggest UGH! We live in Phoenix Arizona where it is HOT!! 113 degrees most days I try and schedule AM appts. but James sleeps until 8:30am no comlaining there, and by 10am it is already 100 + degrees. Hang in there some day we will look back on all this and wonder how we even did it and kept our sanity. Tracy