Monday, December 17, 2007

P.S.

You might have noticed in my last post that I mentioned Noah "happily playing" in the church nursery. If you know us well you're probably scratching your head. Since when does Noah happily play in the nursery? That's the place where he screams, sobs, hold his breath, and cries 'til he vomits (not that it takes much). Apparently not anymore. It would seem that when the developmental books said that separation anxiety lasts until 2 1/2 they weren't kidding. Noah turned 30 months on November 30, and in the last few weeks a surprising change has happened. We first noticed that something was up at the Chattering Children Christmas party - he wasn't scared of Santa! Then at our Sunday School Christmas party he happily went into the basement to play with the teens hires to entertain the kiddos. When he didn't scream through his speech therapy session I knew something was up, and when he was unaffected by a change of room at feeding therapy I was hopeful. But it wasn't until he happily walked into church nursery this morning that I began to rejoice. Instead of starting to cry in the parking lot he was content to be carried, and when we reached the nursery doors he hopped down and went to play. When I said bye-bye the resulting "Mommy!" had me a bit worried, but he just ran up to me for a hug and a kiss and went right back to playing. This evening at the choir concert he didn't even look back for a hug. The boys were playing cars and he wasn't about to be left out. Somewhere when I wasn't looking my baby turned into a big boy.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family...your blog has blessed me this year! :)