Wednesday, January 2, 2008

White Cane

Today Noah had his first O&M (Orientation and Mobility) evaluation in preparation for transitioning to the school system from EI. According to the evaluator he definitely needs O&M, and she recommended that he start learning to use a white cane ASAP. The first time those words came up I was so sad. I didn't want my son to be stigmatized or singled out as different, and a white can makes it pretty obvious that there's a vision issue. Somewhere, somehow my viewpoint has changed. I'm not only ok with a white cane - I'm excited. Noah's going to learn to not walk into walls. Fewer bruises and head injuries: that's a good thing! When he's older he'll be able to go to a movie theater with his friends and not have to worry about tripping on the curb in the parking lot. He'll be able to go to concerts and parks and the grocery store to buy a tomato - all on his own. A white cane doesn't change who Noah is, it just gives him more independence.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No cane is gonna change the adorable factor and that sweet boy's face! God love him.

Billie said...

I feel the same way about Eden's power chair:)

He's SO adorable...and getting SO big!

Jennifer said...

That will be great for him! My husband has a friend that is blind from ROP and he uses a cane, well, and also has a seeing eye dog.

Have you looked into that for Noah when he gets bigger?

Liana said...

wow Emily, this post was inspiring - although our Noah doesn't have all the same things going on, I too often first feel "sad" when I hear things - it's nice to see/read someone who is at the other end & "proud" of what they'll be able to do.
I think I'm getting there, but what a road...

Anonymous said...

I'm reading back through your entries, and you really made my day when I came across this. As a deafblind person, I know that I spent alot of time resenting my parents for not giving me the skills I needed until I was old enough to demand them- including a white cane.

Your perspective is refreshing and inspiring.