Wednesday, March 7, 2007

The Next American Idol?

Noah's favorite toys are often musical in nature. He loved his drums and his piano. But more than anything else, he loves to sing. We noticed this for the first time one night when Brian was putting Noah to bed. We were singing him his goodnight song and he joined us. Sure, he just sang "aaaa" instead of the words, but it was music to our ears! Noah has 3 favorite songs - "Baa Baa Black Sheep", "Walking Walking" and The "ABC" song. Tonight during dinner Noah started singing "uh uh uh uh uh uh uh" It might not sound like much, but if you add in the correct rhythm and an occasional correct pitch like Noah did it's most certainly an excellent rendition of the ABCs. During speech therapy "ing ing, ing ing" invariably means that Noah is walking somewhere. And "ba ba ba ba" is more than just babble when sung to the tune of "Baa Baa Black Sheep". So, is this normal? Should I be skipping the speech therapy and springing for voice lessons? We always assumed that based on the genetics our kids would have some musical ability, but having my deaf preemie sing before he talks is kind of throwing me for a loop.

2 comments:

~k~ said...

My girl also carries a tune (to her limited ability ;) but also has no words, so I can really relate to your post! Right now her favorite song is The Mail Song from Blue's Clues- probably because I wiggle my butt when you sing "makes me want to wag my tail" Cracks her up!

Noah looks great and it is an amazing thing for your little boy to be singing... but did you expect anything less?

Lots of love,
(kim from pping)

Anonymous said...

Found this while searching for American Idol. I also have a preemie, a 27 weeker who at 4 years old is writing her own songs! LOL Anyway, I don't know your situation, but I thought I'd mention Signing Time! (http://www.signingtime.com). I've never met anyone I thought couldn't benefit from it! It is geared toward teaching hearing children ASL, but I know there are a lot of people using it with their deaf children. You'll love the songs!! And the forums are great - lots of info!